Thanks for a very interesting class today. Here are the class notes, starting with what we covered and followed by the homework assigned today.
We started the class with an amazing video referred by Robert.
Then each person paired up with a partner to talk about setting a personal artistic goal to accomplish in the next 10 weeks. Everyone wrote these down. The assignment is to check in with each other about the goals 1x per week. It can be before or after class. I noted that the things to remember when setting goals are: figuring out the next steps to accoplishing them, determining how you will know if you succeeded. And how you will measure your progress?
We had a brief discussion about networking. I made the the proposal that it might be better to think about the process as “starting conversations.” There are many ways this can happen. You can pose a question to a group (such as on Facebook) and see what responses come back. Or you can go to a place where conversations will be happening and take part.
We talked about Mindset. I talked about the many ways a fixed mindset can hide out. We talked about the 4 steps to incorporating a growth mindset and the homework in this area.
I handed out the PDF Evaluating Your Skills.
I asked students to continue working on the assignment where you list the skills used in your art. Expand these by dividing them into the following 4 areas:
What are your Primary Artistic Skills?
What are your Secondary Artistic skills?
What are your Non-artistic skills- artistic, physical, cognitive, specialized and business-oriented?
What Unique skills do you have?
Here also is a link to the excerpt I referred to today from the “Making Your Life As An Artist” book that we are reading about leading with your mission.
HOMEWORK (Refer to Master homework list for all homework assignments). Here are the things we talked about today.
1. Mindset followup assignments:
A: This week identify 1 fixed mindset thought. Apply the 4-step exercise for changing fixed mindset thoughts that we looked at in Astrid Baumgardner’s post. Be prepared to discuss in class.– Due Monday, April 17
B: As a followup to last week’s assignment to make a list of tasks/skills required in your art and rate your current level of those skills 1-10. Take one of the areas where your level is below what you would like. Do some journaling about how you might apply the growth mindset to improve your level of this skill. Be prepared to discuss in class – Due Monday, April 17
3. Evaluating your Skills Assignment
Read the “The Savvy Musician” handout about the entrepreneurial mindset that I passed out in class.
Expand the list of skills you have have already begun into the following 4 areas:
- What are your Primary Artistic Skills?
- What are your Secondary Artistic skills?
- What are your Non-artistic skills- artistic, physical, cognitive, specialized and business-oriented?
- What Unique skills do you have?
4. Prepare your Elevator Speech– Describe what is important about your art in 60 seconds or less. Lead with your mission. Write it down. We’ll practice delivering it on Monday – Due Monday April 17
5. “Survey the Field” Exercise – Look up 6-8 individuals who do what you aspire to do. Start a list that includes their names, brief description of their work and the professional affiliations. Be as specific as you can to your particular goals and/or your mission. Just because someone practiced the same art form you do doesn’t mean they embody the goals you aspire to reach.
Submit assignment by email by Friday, April 21th, Bring print out to class for discussion- Due Monday, April 24