Nice to meet you all in class today. I’m very excited about this exploration this term.
This email/post is an example of what you can expect to get from me after most of the classes. It includes notes & comments from class discussion, homework that was assigned that day, photos of the board notes from the class.
Class #1 4/3/17
IN CLASS DISCUSSION
- I went over the syllabus & the blog. Here is a link to the syllabus
- I went over the required reading for the course. Here is a link to the required reading list where you can download or find purchasing information
- Everyone gave their name, degree, described their artistic practice and one thing that is going well about it.
- I talked about my attendance policy–Please let me know in advance of class if you are going to miss that class session.
- I mentioned that I like to start each class with some art. So bring examples or links to things that have inspired you recently or that you would like to share with the group.
- Respond to the following 2 questions to me via email by Friday, April 7. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Regarding your connection to your art: Where are you solid? What are you clear about now- about your process, about what you know you want to do, about what you’ve mastered?
2. “What is one big challenge to you doing your art?” Do you have an Achilles heel? Something you are afraid might hold you back or that you know you have to overcome? For me it is modal comping in my left hand. I overheard someone say ‘I’m a jack-of-all-trades, haven’t mastered any of them.” This is the kind of reflection I’m looking for.
2. Read the weekly blog posts found at the link below by next class. Respond to one of them in the comment section of the blog page. Due Wednesday, April 5
3. The following are the first required reading for the class. We will be discussing these in class on the dates they are due. To download or get links to purchasing the texts go to
1. Read “The War of Art” at least pg 1-40 Due Monday April 17
2. Read “Economies of Life” -Chapter 3 (PDF on the Class Readings pg) Due Wednesday, April 19
3. Read “Making Your Life as an Artist” (PDF on the Class Readings pg) Due Monday April 24